UNHCR’s the Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative (DAFI), is inviting applications for the DAFI Undergraduate Scholarship Programme for Refugees in 2020.
The DAFI (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative) scholarship programme offers refugee students the possibility to earn an undergraduate degree in their country of asylum. Through the dedicated support of the German Government, and private donors, the programme has supported over 14,000 young refugees to undertake tertiary studies since 1992.
In 2019, DAFI scholarships are available in 52 countries, namely: Sub-Sahara Africa: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia & Zimbabwe.
Middle East & Northern Africa (MENA): Algeria, Egypt, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritania, Morocco, Syria & Yemen. Asia & Pacific: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan &Tajikistan. The Americas: Ecuador & Mexico. Europe: Azerbaijan, Russian Federation, Turkey & Ukraine.
Worth of Award
The DAFI programme provides undergraduate refugee students with scholarships that cover a wide range of costs: from tuition fees and study materials, to food, transport, and accommodation.
In order to be eligible, a candidate must:
- Be a refugee with recognized refugee status;
- Have successfully completed secondary schooling to a high standard;
- Have no other means of support for university studies;
- Select a course of study that is likely to lead to employment in the country of origin with a maximum three to four years duration;
- Not be older than 28 years at the beginning of studies;
- Have no other family member receiving a DAFI scholarship.
How to Apply
- Check in the list if there is a current DAFI Programme in your country of asylum.
- Check if you meet the above-mentioned criteria.
- You can contact the respective office by emailing your country of interest in the following contact form.
- Complete the country-specific application form and submit as indicated on the form.
Deadline: Application is ongoing